My Photo
Name:
Location: In Front Of, Lotus Notes - All Day, United States

Friday, February 16, 2007

Back to 7.0.2

While Notes 8 looked good and all, there were just a few too many issues with it for me to continue to run it any longer.

I've decided to go back to 7.0.2 for now and wait until later on to install Notes 8.

A couple of issues I ran across were....


1. If you slide your RSS window over to the left, then move it back over to the right, it messed up the formatting of emails within my preview pane. I had my inbox to the left, reading pane to the right, and RSS shortcuts all the way over to the right. I'd have to click on another email in my inbox then go back to it in order to get the formatting correct....not a big deal but an inconvenience none the less.

2. I like to read my emails in the preview pane and Notes 8 would only mark my emails as "read" if I double-clicked on them. I had it checked to "mark as read when reading in the preview pane" but it would never do it....

The whole "read/unread" marks thing has always been a pain for some. Sometimes my unread marks are all good - then other times I have to mark them all as read.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Notes 8 isnt out yet Dumb ass. Seems like you're ranting for ranting sakes... contacts searching... works for me... and I multi-task with notes every day... ohh for about 10 YEARS... no software is perfect and sometime stuff crashes... I assume youre casually "forgetting" all the other products that can crash too... like erm... windows.... which you might be running notes on... anyway. theres some rant back atcha

February 17, 2007 at 1:24 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

Bear in mind that Notes 8 isn't even in public beta. So it's going to have bugs.

The preview pane issue has been reported. I told them about that several weeks ago, and I think it's SPRed.

There's lots of changes going on with the RSS reader.

February 17, 2007 at 3:23 PM  
Blogger Nate said...

Also, to your point about read/unread... until about Notes 6.5, there were a lot of bugs with these, particularly in environments using server clustering.

They actually had a fairly famous and public overhaul of how they worked in Notes 6.

However, if you're on Notes 7, AND your administrator has properly configured your mail clustering environment (assuming you have one) then your read marks should transition properly between the multiple copies of your mail that might exist on two different failover servers.

February 18, 2007 at 6:26 AM  
Blogger Charles Robinson said...

You can have documents read when you preview them by setting a preference. I've never seen Notes 8, but in 7 it's found at File > Preferences > User Preferences, in the Additional Options box scroll all the way to the top. There you will find "Mark documents read when opened in preview pane" and you can check it.

You may have that set already and it's a bug in your pre-public-beta Notes 8.

February 21, 2007 at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home